Men’s soccer team defeated by Drew University in Landmark Championship

Madison Chiaravolloti November 8, 2017 0

In a Landmark Conference Championship game Saturday, Nov. 4, Elizabethtown College’s men’s soccer team fell to Drew University, currently ranked 10th.

Drew extended their win streak to 16, finishing their season 19-0-1, claiming their first conference title since 2007.

Throughout the game, the Blue and Gray had only 10 shots compared to Drew’s 15, with only four shots on target for Etown. Drew had 10 total shots on target, resulting in three total goals by the 90th minute. The fouls were pretty consistent throughout the match with Etown finishing with 13 and Drew with 15.

The first goal was scored 20 minutes into the first half by one of Drew’s top scorers, sophomore Aidan Cserhat, assisted by sophomore Andy Imoh. One minute later, Cserhat quickly scored again, again assisted by Imoh.

With a strong lead in the 21st minute, Drew hung back up until after halftime.

The Blue Jays had a couple good shots along with two corners throughout the first half, but could not make it past Drew’s goalkeeper, sophomore Jason Adamo.

To prepare for the game, the Blue Jays focused on lots of possession and quick passing to maintain composure playing against such an athletic team. Drew is known for being a physically large team with strong athletic abilities, so passing around them efficiently was going to be key in preparing for the match.

First-year Eli Perry discussed the positives the team grasped to combat Drew’s speed. “We defended set pieces which they are really dangerous,” Perry said. He knew other things went wrong too, but keeping the points off the board due to set pieces was a huge accomplishment.

One of the mistakes Perry touched on was the team’s lack of speed tracking back after their own corner kick, which ended up in a goal at the other end.

Less than one minute into the second half, Drew first-year Nate Race scored Drew’s third goal of the game, assisted by sophomore Matt Asante.

Senior Scott Hess scored the only goal for Etown in a penalty kick in the 65th minute due to a foul against sophomore J.D. Haaf. This was Hess’s third goal of the season. The Blue and Gray earned another two corners, but fell short turning them into goals.

Junior Gilbert Waso finished the game with two shots. First-year Marcos Urffer had two shots on goal and Haaf had one shot.

Etown’s junior goalie Brian Gately made seven saves in the game, his second highest total of the season.

This was Etown’s third consecutive appearance in the Landmark Conference championship game.

The Jays finished their season 10-7-2 overall and 4-2-1 in the Conference.


Comments are closed.