Have you ever asked yourself, “How can I use my time appropriately?” A key aspect of living a simple life is creating a routine and managing one’s time efficiently. Having a consistent routine has been shown to benefit mental and physical health and help create an overall happier individual.
As Abraham Lincoln said, “Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first hour sharpening the axe.” When a routine is created, daily tasks are accomplished more easily because there is a set plan of action. Below are helpful tips to begin making your own routine to lead a simpler lifestyle.
1. Use a Planner. Write down important dates to keep track of events and appointments. This way, you will have the ability to tackle tasks without feeling overwhelmed. You are more likely to follow through with something if you write it down.
2. Review Your Goals. Prioritize by creating a checklist. Take time to write down what you want to accomplish—long term and short term. There is a satisfying feeling of accomplishment when you cross off completed tasks.
3. Keep a Daily Rhythm. Wake up, go to bed and try to eat around the same time each day. This helps keep a steady circadian rhythm and will keep your energy up throughout the day.
4. Take Breaks. Allow yourself to take breaks while working to give your mind a chance to rest. If you continuously work on a task without a break, you could lose motivation and your thought process. Breaks allow you to stop and evaluate what has been accomplished and what still needs to be done.
5. Ease Into a New Routine. Add one new activity at a time until it becomes second-nature. If you try to change too much at once, you could become overwhelmed. Small changes over time are more manageable.
Establishing a routine will allow for less wasted time, more opportunities and more space in your schedule for the meaningful events that truly matter to you. The list above contains some of the tips that we have created in order to live a simpler life with a routine.
Follow @lvanderkam on Instagram for more tips on routines and time management! Support the Simple Living FYS by following us on Twitter or using #EtownSimplified. Stay tuned for our next column on how to save money!